Re: how much mem to give postgres? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Close
Subject Re: how much mem to give postgres?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:33:16 +0100, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> ....and using what version of PostgreSQL are you using? 8.0beta, I hope?

I'm using version 7.4.5.

> > I was thinking I need to increase the amount of shared buffers, but
> > I've been told "the sweet spot for shared_buffers is usually on the
> > order of 10000 buffers". I already have it set at 21,078. If you have,
> > say 100 gigs of ram, are you supposed to still only give postgres
> > 10,000?
>
> Thats under test currently. My answer would be, "clearly not", others
> differ, for varying reasons.

Should I stick the rule of around 15% of mem then? I haven't found any
information on why you should use certain settings at all. I read
somewhere on the postgres site about using as much memory as possible,
but leave a little room for other processes. Whould that be an ok
theory? I'd kinda like to know why I should or shouldn't do something
like this.

-Josh