Re: Determining the type of an obkect in plperl - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Determining the type of an obkect in plperl
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Mar 5, 2020, at 4:22 AM, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 12:27:12AM +0000, Ravi Krishna wrote:
>>

>>> how can I determine what the data type of the value element is?
>>>
>> perl has a ref function which can tell what type of object.
>>
>> https://perldoc.perl.org/functions/ref.html
>>>

>> --
>>
> Even checking gisnt teh _TD structure does not return a value:
>
> foreach my $key (sort keys %{$_TD->{old}}) {
>        my $ref1 =  ref $_TD->{old}->{$key};
>        my $ref2 =  ref $_TD->{new}->{$key};
>        elog(NOTICE, "ref1 = $ref1 ref2 = $ref2" );
>        .
>        .

I’m not a Perl guy but I don’t think you need to sort the keys. You don’t care what order the comparisons are done, do
you?
If it’s just “is different” your looking for why can’t you rely on Perl’s type coercing (toString()) on operands of ne?
Youwon’t have different types under the same key.