Re: What's a correct or good Encoding for Postgres 9.1.2? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: What's a correct or good Encoding for Postgres 9.1.2?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/30/12 10:17 AM, Khangelani Gama wrote:
> So talking about compatibility, you are saying we can continue using
> UTF-8?, but this will create more work for us because most of our
> scripts assume that encoding is  SQL_ASCII hence we want continue
> using SQL_ASCII in Postgres 9.1.2.

SQL_ASCII is not really an encoding, its saying "this data has no
encoding at all, its just bytes".   UTF-8 will reject any data thats not
properly UTF8 encoded.

converting from 'undefined' encoding to a rigorously enforced encoding
is problematic.  On the other hand, working in SQL_ASCII has all kinda
ugly issues, like length(somestring) is just counting bytes, and not
characters if the string happens to be a multibyte encoded entity.
collation order is just binary.   upper/lower don't work on anything
other than USASCII (eg, accented characters are ignored).

sounds to me like you're stuck in SQL_ASCII