Re: default_transaction_isolation = serializable causes crash under Hot Standby - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: default_transaction_isolation = serializable causes crash under Hot Standby
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> * throw a WARNING if serializable is stated in other cases, and
>> downgrade the request to repeatable read
>
> I think this would be reasonable, but it's still my second choice.
> The advantage of throwing an ERROR is that someone will presumably
> be forced to realize that a problem exists and fix it, whereas a
> WARNING may just generate a combination of log spam and unexpected
> behavior forever.  Also, we currently block cases where you try to
> set transaction_isolation by throwing an ERROR, so it seems a bit
> more consistent to do that in other cases as well.  Still, it's a
> reasonable choice, and certainly better than failing an assertion.
I'm not totally clear on your first choice.  Are you looking for
something similar to the patch I posted, except that it would dodge
all resulting errors at the point where they are promoted to FATAL
(before HS is really functional)?
-Kevin