Re: Bug tracker tool we need - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Bug tracker tool we need
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 04/18/2012 11:29 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut<peter_e@gmx.net>  wrote:
>> On ons, 2012-04-18 at 13:33 +0300, Alex Shulgin wrote:
>>> I wonder why do people keep complaining how their bug tracker of
>>> choice sucks, instead of doing something about that.
>> Lack of time, and to some degree a lack of clarity of what they
>> want out of the thing.  (Most people are very clear on what they
>> don't want.)
>
> Personally, I haven't worked with one which had the data organized
> in what I would consider a sensible and useful way.

Part of the trouble is that the whole area is fuzzy. So any organization
that imposes some sort of order on the data will not fit well in some
cases. Most tracker systems have ended up either trying to cater for
increasingly complex and varied circumstances, or staying simple and
more or less throwing in the towel on the complexity problem.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's not worth having a tracker, just
that we need to recognize the limitations.

cheers

andrew