Re: oracle linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: oracle linux
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/28/2012 10:38 AM, Gregg Jaskiewicz wrote:
> They seem to claim up to 70% speed gain.
> Did anyone proved it, tested it - with PostgreSQL in particular ?

RedHat's RHEL5 kernel is 2.6.18 with a bunch of backported features.
Oracle just yanks that out and puts a closer to stock 2.6.32 based
kernel in there instead.   Basically the speed gain is for people who
don't want to update their whole distribution, because of nonsense like
"SAP etc. is only supported on RHEL5 based platforms" I think, but need
the better high-speed hardware support of a newer kernel.  Of course a
several year newer kernel runs much faster on latest generation hardware.