Re: Switching to Homebrew as recommended Mac install? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Switching to Homebrew as recommended Mac install?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 04/02/2012 05:23 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> There are hundreds of thousands of pieces of malware for Windows that
> relied on the ability to write to "system" directories like this to do
> their misdeeds. Anywhere they can write (or modify existing) software
> that may get executed at boot time or by an unsuspecting users (or
> potentially, root). Microsoft spent millions, probably tens or
> hundreds of millions enhancing the security of Windows precisely
> because of this type of security issue.
>
> If homebrew intentionally creates a hole like that, then for as long
> as I'm one of the PostgreSQL webmasters it will *never* be listed on
> our download pages.

+10

I'm one of the people who doesn't have a horse in this race. (Recently I
was teaching my daughter about some development stuff and so I got her
to install Fedora under VirtualBox on her Mac :-) ). But as soon as I
saw this stuff about the intentional security hole it raised a great big
red flag with me too.

cheers

andrew