Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Regarding column reordering project for GSoc 2012
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 03/17/2012 04:42 PM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Saturday, March 17, 2012, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com
> <mailto:atri.jiit@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >

> > I believe,with the ALTER command,we plan to give the user power to
> modify ordering . Don’t we?
>
> Probably, but that's not relevant to my point as far as I can see - I
> was objecting to your suggestion that the "middle layer" that
> translates the physical to logical ordering and vice-versa (if I
> understood your description correctly) be in the client.

Mine too. We don't want a column ordering that's different for everyone.
That's a recipe for mass confusion. We want to be able to mutate the
ordering for everyone, and for everyone to see the same ordering. That
means it MUST be done purely in the backend (as indeed all ALTER TABLE
commands must be.)

cheers

andrew