COPY without quoting - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Lee Hachadoorian
Subject COPY without quoting
Date
List pgsql-sql
COPY ... TO ... WITH CSV defaults to quoting string fields with embedded
delimiters, quotes, and newlines. In pgAdmin I can execute to file and
specify "no quoting" for the output, in which case I get (what I want) a
file with no quotes, even though there are embedded commas in the
strings. But I am missing it if the COPY statement has a way to turn
quotes off. You can turn them *on* with FORCE QUOTE, in which case a
column will be quoted even if there are no embedded delimiters, etc. I
tried

COPY ... TO ... WITH CSV QUOTE '';

but got a message that the quote string had to be at least one character.

Any ideas?

Best,
--Lee

--
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD, Earth&  Environmental Sciences (Geography)