Re: INHERIT vs INHERITS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: INHERIT vs INHERITS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever complained about the inconsistency (at least it
> seems that to me) of using INHERITS in CREATE TABLE and INHERIT in
> ALTER TABLE?
They make sense to me as an English speaker.  CREATE TABLE more or
less has a *description* of the table to be created, while ALTER
TABLE contains *actions* to take.  ADD COLUMN, DROP COLUMN, INHERIT.
They are sub-commands.
In normal conversation you might say "Jane rides the bus to work."
But if you want to change that, you might say "Jane, ride your
bicycle to work."
-Kevin