Re: pg_upgrade and statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: pg_upgrade and statistics
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> What is the target=10 duration?  I think 10 is as low as we can
> acceptably recommend.  Should we recommend they run vacuumdb
> twice, once with default_statistics_target = 4, and another with
> the default?
Here are the results at various settings.
1   :  172198.892 ms
2   :  295536.814 ms
4   :  474319.826 ms
10  :  750458.312 ms
100 :  3433794.609 ms
I'm not sure what's best for a general approach to the problem.  For
my own part, I'd be inclined to cherry-pick tables if I were in a
hurry.
I hope we at least bring over relpages and reltuples, to give the
optimizer *some* clue what it's looking at.  I wouldn't thing those
would be changing semantics or format very often.
-Kevin