elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Artur Litwinowicz
Subject elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a database
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Developers,  I am looking for elegant and effective way for running jobs inside a
database or cluster - for now I can not find that solution.
OK if You say "use cron" or "pgAgent" I say I know that solutions, but
the are not effective and elegant. Compilation of "pgAgent" is a pain
(especially wxWidgets usage on system with no X) - it can run jobs with
minimal 60s periods but what when someone needs run it faster for eg.
with 5s period ? Of course using cron I can do that but it is not
effective and elegant solution. Why PostgreSQL can not have so elegant
solution like Oracle database ? I am working with Oracle databases for
many years, but I like much more PostgreSQL project but this one
thing... I can not understand - the lack of jobs inside the database...

Best regards,
Artur