Can't query the sequence table of a serial primary key. - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Fred Parkinson
Subject Can't query the sequence table of a serial primary key.
Date
Re: Can't query the sequence table of a serial primary key.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-admin
We have moved some databases from 7.x to 8.4
Previously I could query the sequencing table of a 'serial primary key' by simply running
select * from mytable_id_seq;
where mytable has id as a serial primary key and mytable_id_seq is the postgresql relation which manages the key.

Has something significantly changed this in ver 8.4?
When I do \d I see the table and the sequencer under 'List of relations'.
But when I run select * from mytable_id_seq; postgresql responds with:
relation 'mytable_id_seq' does not exist.

Am I confused about something? (Wouldn't be the first time sigh)

Thanks for any help.

Fred