Re: Removing special case OID generation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Removing special case OID generation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/7/12 8:14 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Having one sequence for each toast table could be wasteful though.  I
> mean, sequences are not the best use of shared buffer cache currently.
> If we could have more than one sequence data in a shared buffer page,
> things would be different.  Not sure how serious this really is.

This would actually be an argument for supporting multiple page sizes... too bad that's such a beast.

FWIW, from our most complex production database:

cnuapp_prod@postgres08.obr=# select relkind, count(*) from pg_class group by 1; relkind | count
---------+------- S       |   522 r       |  1058 t       |   698 i       |  2894 v       |   221 c       |    12
(6 rows)
--