Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda
Subject Re: random_page_cost = 2.0 on Heroku Postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 09/02/12 00:09, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

>> You can execute several queries with the three different values provided
>> by Scott and Josh.
>> - SET random_page_cost  = 2.0
>> First execution of the queries with EXPLAIN ANALYZE
>> - SET random_page_cost  = 1.4
>> Second execution of the queries with EXPLAIN ANALYZE
>> - SET random_page_cost  = 1.2
>> Second execution of the queries with EXPLAIN ANALYZE
> Well, such a tool would ideally be smarter than that, such that
> you would run EXPLAIN and compare to the previous plan and
> only run EXPLAIN ANALYZE if the plan changed. One could even
> decrement rpc slowly and find out at one points it changes,
> which would be more interesting than testing arbitrary numbers.
> Would lead to some really sweet graphs as well. :)

Well, the MyYearBook.com´s guys built something seemed called Posuta, I
don´t know is this project is alive, but we can ask to them
(michael.glaesemann@myyearbook.com).

http://area51.myyearbook.com
Posuta can be a starting point for it. It uses Ruby and Clojure for core
functionalities, jQuery/Flot for graphics,

--
Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
  Sr. Software Engineer (UCI)

Fin a la injusticia, LIBERTAD AHORA A NUESTROS CINCO COMPATRIOTAS QUE SE ENCUENTRAN INJUSTAMENTE EN PRISIONES DE LOS
EEUU!
http://www.antiterroristas.cu
http://justiciaparaloscinco.wordpress.com