Re: Is Synchronous Postgresql Replication Slower Than Asynchronous? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Is Synchronous Postgresql Replication Slower Than Asynchronous?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/20/12 12:31 PM, Jerry Richards wrote:
> Is synchronous postgresql replication slower than asynchronous?  If
> so, how much?  I am looking into database replication for a phone
> system, so the response time is of concern.

when a client issues a COMMIT on the master, synchronous by definition
has to wait for the replication to be committed on the slave.  this will
of course be slower, how much slower depends on far too many variables
to give an estimate, including things like speed of both servers disk
systems, speed of the network communications, data volume and
transaction rate.