Re: psql - TYPE DEFINITION - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: psql - TYPE DEFINITION
Date
List pgsql-general
On 01/16/2012 09:44 AM, salah jubeh wrote:
> Hello Adrian
>
> when I run \dTS+ I get the same result as \dT+

So you want to get information from a user created type.
So you have two options:
1) Add a comment to the type:
COMMENT ON TYPE test is 'create type test AS (a int , b int)';

test=> \dT
                    List of data types
  Schema |  Name   |             Description
--------+---------+-------------------------------------
  public | ghstore |
  public | hstore  |
  public | test    | create type test AS (a int , b int)

2) Get the information from the pg_type system catalog.

test=> SELECT * from pg_type where typname='test';

I am not showing the output because it does not display well.

For more information on what is being returned take a look at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/catalog-pg-type.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com