Re: Add SPI results constants available for PL/* - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Add SPI results constants available for PL/*
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 01/03/2012 09:11 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 01/03/2012 08:40 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> - it is useless overhead
>> I tend to agree.
>>
>>> I am expecting so definition some constants in Perl, Python is simple
>> Presumably one could instead write a script to transform the list of
>> constants into a .pm file that could be loaded into the background, or
>> whatever PL/python's equivalent of that concept is.  Not sure if
>> there's a better way to do it.
>
> Yeah, I'm with you and Pavel. Here's my quick perl one-liner to
> produce a set of SPI_* constants for pl/perl. I'm looking at the best
> way to include this in the bootstrap code.
>
>    perl -ne 'BEGIN { print "use constant\n{\n"; } END { print "};\n"; }
>    print "\t$1 => $2,\n" if /#define (SPI_\S+)\s+\(?(-?\d+)\)?/;'
>    src/include/executor/spi.h

Actually, now I look closer I see that PLPerl passes back a stringified
status from SPI_execute(), so there is no great need for setting up
these constants. It's probably water under the bridge now, but maybe
PLPython should have done this too.

cheers

andrew