Re: Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hannes Erven
Subject Re: Adding German Character Set to PostgresSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Hagen,

>  gpdemo      | gpadmin | UTF8     |
> that UTF8 ought to support the German characters I want.
> Am I understanding you correctly?

Yes, UTF-8 supports all the characters you'd want -- Wikipedia says it's
about 109.000 characters from 93 scripts, so that's pretty everything
you might need ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode ).

So as we have excluded the database storage and the psql connection,
there seems to be only the terminal left as a suspect. Could you try
using pgAdmin or any other non-console based tool to connect to the
database in question?

The plain text you first posted looked quite strange, repeating previous
parts of the strings before the Umlauts -- usually, unsupported Umlauts
show up rather as two characters, or cut off the rest of the word
completely.
My guess would be that the characters are correctly stored in the DB,
and are just not displayed correctly within your terminal.

But again, this is best verified when you connect directly to the DB. I
don't know anything about terminals in CentOS, but have you tried
setting the LANG variable?
http://www.linuxreport.org/content/view/53/31/

Good luck :-)

    -hannes