Re: patch: bytea_agg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: patch: bytea_agg
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Robert Haas wrote:

>>> Well, because it doesn't operate on strings.
>>
>> Sure, binary strings.  Both the SQL standard and the PostgreSQL
>> documentation use that term.
>
> I'm unimpressed by that argument, but let's see what other people
> think.
I, for one, try to be consistent about saying "character strings"
when that is what I mean.  Since at least the SQL-92 standard there
have been both "character strings" and "bit strings", with a certain
amount of symmetry in how they are handled.   I don't remember when
binary strings were introduced, but that is the standard
terminology.  There is, for example, a standard substring function
for binary strings.
-Kevin