impact of truncate table on indexes - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Dinesh Bhandary
Subject impact of truncate table on indexes
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi All -

We have been having some performance issues with indexes right after
truncating a table. My understanding is truncate removes all the
contents of the table and the space get reclaimed immediately.
In such cases what happens to its indexes. It does not seem like they
are removed, but merely marked for deletion by a vacuum job and it
creates huge bloats and performance problems.

What is the best procedure in scenarios like this? Recreating indexes
seems to solve the problem, but I am trying to find out if there are
other alternatives out there.

Thanks.
Dinesh