Re: Typed hstore proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Typed hstore proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 12/22/2011 10:44 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson"<johann@2ndquadrant.com>  writes:
>> I mean to create a typed hstore, called tstore for now.
> Um ... what is the point of this, exactly?  From what I've seen, most
> applications for hstore are pretty happy with the fact that hstore is
> only weakly typed, and if an entry *is* an integer, or a float, or
> whatever else, it's not hard to cast to and from text as needed.
> So this idea looks like a solution in search of a problem, which is
> going to need a whole lot more work before it even gets to the point of
> being as useful as hstore.  It's not for instance apparent what is the
> use of iterating over only entries that were supplied as integers ---
> there is no reason to think that they're related just because of that.

Yeah, the thing that's annoying in some cases about hstore is not that
it's untyped but that it's flat.

That's what a JSON type would buy us, a lightweight tree structured
type, and moreover one that is widely and increasingly used and well
understood.

cheers

andrew