Re: pg_cancel_backend by non-superuser - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: pg_cancel_backend by non-superuser
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/02/2011 05:32 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm with Noah on this. If allowing same-user cancels is enough to solve
> 95% or 99% of the real-world use cases, let's just do that.

And we're back full circle.  This is basically where Josh Kuperschmidt
started in early 2010:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4ec1cf761002051455i6e702999y7cf4699b4eb48242@mail.gmail.com

Then Torello's patch initially more ambitious patch got pruned down to
the same sort of feature set.

Next, the day after the November CommitFest started (so it got kind of
lost), Edward Muller took a shot at coding exactly this too, which he
tells me happened without even knowing the other two were already
floating around:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/CABm0hDX+xUc3dsNCnb2Z2mErtw3Crcc5KjMVh6KWHB7JNixpHg@mail.gmail.com

The picture of what people really want here is pretty clear now, after
different people wanted same-user cancels (or more) badly enough to
submit a patch adding it, in three cases now.