Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 12/07/2011 11:31 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> [...]
areloaded with the post-data.  This is consistent with how text-mode pg_dump has always worked, but will seem odd to
theuser.  This also raises the possibility of a future pg_dump/pg_restore optimization.

>>> That does seem odd.  Why do we do it that way?
>> Beats me.
> Performance, mostly --- we prefer to apply checks during the original
> data load if possible, but for indexes and FK constraints it's faster to
> apply them later.  Also, we can separate constraints from the original
> table declaration if it's necessary to break a reference circularity.
> This isn't something that would be wise to whack around.

Yeah, and if we did want to change it that should be a TODO and not hold
up this feature.

cheers

andrew