Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Notes on implementing URI syntax for libpq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/24/2011 05:21 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> A coworker also suggested using a different designator:
>
> postgresqli:///path/to/socket:5433/database
> postgresqli://:5433/database

This is not unprecedented.  An example is how CUPS handles this problem
when connecting printers using URIs:
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/network.html where you might see
this for the usual port:

lpd://ip-address-or-hostname/queue

And this for AppSocket AKA JetDirect:

socket://ip-address-or-hostname

I am certainly not going to defend printing setup with CUPS as a model
worth emulating, just noting the similarity here.  I think we'll save
miles of user headaches if there's only one designator.