Re: are there any methods to disable updating index before inserting large number tuples? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: are there any methods to disable updating index before inserting large number tuples?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/22/11 7:52 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> But I think performance on that table is going to be pretty bad.  I
> suspect that COPY is going to be your friend here.

indeed.  20M rows/hour is 5500 rows/second.  you'd better have a
seriously fast disk system, say, 20 15k RPM SAS drives in a RAID10 with
a decent SAS raid controller that has 1GB of writeback battery-or-flash
backed cache.