Re: How to write a own parser for full text search - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: How to write a own parser for full text search
Date
List pgsql-general
On 21/11/11 22:51, Antonio Franzoso wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have installed PostgreSQL server on a Windows Server 2008 server and
> I need to write a more complex parser than the default one in
> PostgreSQL. Searching on internet i found this example:
> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/tsearch/V2/docs/HOWTO-parser-tsearch2.html
>
> where the parser is written in C language. I would know if can I write
> the parser in another language (Java, I'm very poor in C)? And, if I
> can, what kind of file would contain the functions of the parser (a
> dll file, a class file).
> The last question is: in that example are used some functions
> (PG_GETARG_POINTER, PG_GETARG_INT32, and so on) that seem PostgreSQL
> specific functions; which functions can I use in java?
> May be these are banal questions, but I'm a newbee and I don't found
> more resources on Internet! :)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Antonio.

Hmm...

I am a Java developer, and Java is my favourite language.

Hiwever, I would never recommend writing this kind of thing in Java, as
C is much more appropriate.  So if I did not know C, I would learn C for
this.

Any serious devloper should be reasonable fluent in  AT LEAST 2 computer
langusages, and C is quite widely used.

More impoernatly, see if you can run PostgreSQL on LInux or a variety of
Unix, as Micosoft is not ideal as an O/S for performance and other
reasons (to put it diplomatically).

REgards,
Gavin