Re: Is it ever necessary to vacuum a table that only gets inserts/updates? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Is it ever necessary to vacuum a table that only gets inserts/updates?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18/11/11 04:59, Tom Lane wrote:
> Craig Ringer<ringerc@ringerc.id.au>  writes:
>> On Nov 17, 2011 1:32 PM, "Tom Lane"<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
>>> If it's purely an insert-only table, such as a logging table, then in
>>> principle you only need periodic ANALYZEs and not any VACUUMs.
>> Won't a VACUUM FREEZE (or autovac equivalent) be necessary eventually, to
>> handle xid wraparound?
> Sure, but if he's continually adding new rows, I don't see much point in
> launching extra freeze operations.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Just curious...

Will the pattern of inserts be at all relevant?

For example random inserts compared to apending records.  I thought that
random inserts would lead to bloat, as there would be lots of blocks far
from the optimum fill factor.

Regards,
Gavin