Re: Grouping logs by ip and time - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Markus
Subject Re: Grouping logs by ip and time
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Alex,

in PG9 you can use a query like this:

with a as ( select a.*, rank() over (partition by a.ip,a.date order by
a.log_type, a.time) from log_table a )
select a.*, b.*, b.time-a.time from a join a b on a.ip=b.ip and
a.date=b.date and a.rank+1=b.rank

this orders entry by time grouped by ip and date and selects entries
with there successors. In older versions this is not so easy. It should
work like this:
create temp sequence s;
create temp table a as select a.*, nextval('s') as rank from ( select
a.* from log_table a order by a.ip, a.date, a.time) a;
select a.*, b.*, b.time-a.time from a a join a b on a.ip=b.ip and
a.date=b.date and a.rank+1=b.rank;

Thomas