Re: Custom Constraint Violation Errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Musenbrock
Subject Re: Custom Constraint Violation Errors
Date
List pgsql-general
Am 2011-11-07 16:06, schrieb Richard Broersma:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Michael Musenbrock <redeamer@gmx.net> wrote:
>> But I have not
>> found any information if this is possible to create a trigger on a
>> constraint violation, and if yes, how could that be done?
> You want to use the special type of "CONSTRAINT" trigger.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/sql-createtrigger.html

Ah, thank you very much, I was already reading about the constraint
trigger, but I
was intentionally looking for a trigger firing on violating of an
already existing constraint.

So am I got that right, that If I want to have eg custom error messages
for a foreign
key violation, I need to replace all fkeys by trigger functions?!

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Michael