Re: Recommendations for SSDs in production? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Mieslinger
Subject Re: Recommendations for SSDs in production?
Date
List pgsql-general
Am 03.11.2011 18:59, schrieb Robert Treat:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Benjamin Smith
> <lists@benjamindsmith.com>  wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 02, 2011 11:39:25 AM Thomas Strunz wrote:
>>> I guess go Intel
>>> route or some other crazy expensive enterprise stuff.
>>
>> It's advice about some of the "crazy expensive enterprise" stuff that I'm
>> seeking...? I don't mind spending some money if I get to keep up this level of

Stec (http://stec-inc.com/) or texas memory systems
(http://www.ramsan.com/) do the kind of ssds you want for enterprise
application. Reading the specs for intel 320, 710 you can calculate how
long ssds will live when loaded with maximum random io workload.

intel 320  80GB   10TB written 10000 4k IOPS
  about 3 days to the of end design lifetime

intel 710 100GB  500TB written  2700 4k IOPS
  about 575 days to the of end design lifetime

If you are using Linux you can use the values in /proc/iostats to get a
rough idea what your system is doing and how many tb get written per day.

stec offers a wear resistant ssd which is composed from 8GB RAM, a big
capacitor, 8GB Flash and some logic to write the ram contents into flash
when the power has gone.

see
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/product-brief/ssd-320-brief.pdf

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/product-specification/ssd-710-series-specification.pdf