Re: Performance issue during multiple insertions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Lai
Subject Re: Performance issue during multiple insertions
Date
List pgsql-general
Siva Palanisamy wrote:

> Hi All. I basically have 3 tables. One being the core table and the
> other 2 depend on the 1st. I have the requirement to add upto 70000
> records in all the tables. I do have constraints (primary & foreign
> keys, index, unique etc) set for the tables. I can't go for bulk
> import (using COPY command) as there is no standard .csv file in
> requirement, and the mapping is explicitly required plus few
> validations are externally applied in a C based programming file. Each
> record details (upto 70000) will be passed from .pgc (an ECPG based C
> Programming file) to postgresql file. It takes less time for the 1st
> few records and the performance is turning bad to the latter records!
> The result is very sad that it takes days to cover upto 20000! What
> are the performance measures could I step in into this? Please guide me.

> ::DISCLAIMER::

> this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily
> reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
> modification, distribution and / or publication of
> this message without the prior written consent of the author of this
> e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
> immediately. Before opening any mail and

Hi Siva,
Look like every insert cause update their indexes.
My first suggestion is
Drop all indexes related to the three tables before starting insert your
70k records.  You can add the indexes back after insert complete.
If it does not improve, I will create three new temp tables without any
constrain and index.  Add the constrain and indexes and rename the three
original tables to something *_old.  Then you can rename the three temp
table to be the production table.

--
Best regards,

Alex Lai