Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost" - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"
Date
Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Add statistics_collector_listen_addresses to fix hard-coding of "localhost"  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
List pgsql-bugs
On 27.10.2011 15:57, Robert Young wrote:
> But,I think insistence of hard-coding should be even worse than broken
> configuration.
> And hard-coding should never be a good work ethics of a professional programmer.

You're exaggerating. There's nothing wrong hard-coding things like
number of seconds in a minute (60). While it's not as cast in stone as
60 seconds in a minute, I don't see anything wrong with hardcoding that
"localhost" means the local host.

BTW, do we have anything in place to stop any user on the same host to
send bogus stat messages to the stats collector?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas