Re: [pgadmin-support] Help for Migration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: [pgadmin-support] Help for Migration
Date
List pgsql-general
On 25/10/11 03:36, Alban Hertroys wrote:
> On 24 Oct 2011, at 14:24, <Mamatha_Kagathi_Chan@DELL.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> I have migrated Sql Server 2005 database to PostgreSQL 9.0 . I was also successfully able to connect classic ASP to
themigrated database. But when the page reaches a stage where it is accessing a procedure I get the following error.

>> PostgreSQL Native Provider error '80040e14'
>>
>> ERROR: syntax error at or near "' 789500'" LINE 1: EXEC Visadetailinsert ' 789500','No','Select visa','','','Se... ^

What database access driver/method are you using?

PostgreSQL doesn't support 'EXEC' ... you probably want to

  SELECT myfunctionname(argument1, argument2);

instead. If you're using ODBC, you should be using the ODBC
procedure-call escape sequence to make it database-agnostic, eg:

  {? = CALL procname(?,?)}

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms403294.aspx

The ODBC driver for the database you're using should translate that into
suitable call syntax for your database, eg in PostgreSQL it should produce

  SELECT procname(?,?);

and capture the result.

I was initially suspicious that the issue was the whitespace in the
quoted number, but that's not it. You're simply sending a completely
bogus query string, and that's the first point the parser happens to
choke on.

--
Craig Ringer