Re: Can't use WITH in a PERFORM query in PL/pgSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Can't use WITH in a PERFORM query in PL/pgSQL?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I think it wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to just interpret a
> SELECT with no INTO clause as being a PERFORM (ie execute and
> discard results).

FWIW, that would probably confuse people coming from MS SQL Server
or Sybase ASE, since doing that in Transact-SQL would return a
result set.  Any stored procedure can produce an arbitrarily
intermixed stream of result sets, information lines, and error
messages.

-Kevin