Plans to fix table inheritance caveats - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Evan Martin
Subject Plans to fix table inheritance caveats
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Are there any plans to fix the caveats documented in section 5.8.1,
particularly allowing rows in a derived table to satisfy a foreign key
defined on a base table? I know it's on the TODO list (
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo#Inheritance ) - just wondering if
anyone is actually working on it or planning to in the foreseeable future.

It would certainly be my number one feature request for PostgreSQL!
Table inheritance is very useful for persisting an object model with
inheritance, but with this limitation it can effectively only be used
when nothing references the base table (unless you give up referential
integrity).

Regards,

Evan