Re: I need to load mysql dump to postgres... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: I need to load mysql dump to postgres...
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/12/2011 10:37 AM, unclebob wrote:
> good noon,
> subj.
> I don't want to load dump to mysql etc...
> Is there a program which would just parse mysql dump file and load data
> to postgresql using plain sql inserts?

There's no single, simple automatic migration tool. Numerous tools exist
to help. See a simple Google search for "convert mysql postgresql", the
first result of which is:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL

For more complex jobs you may want to look at ETL tools like Pentaho or
Talend, but the nature of your question suggests it's probably a fairly
simple database.

It's often easiest to just hand-write the new schema, then do a
data-only MySQL dump in portable mode (with inserts) and run that
through psql.

Use mysqldump WITHOUT the "--all" or "-a" option so it doesn't dump as
much MySQL-specific stuff, and use "--no-create-db --no-create-info" to
suppress the schema definitions. Then edit out any remaining
MySQL-specific stuff and feed it into psql.

--
Craig Ringer