Re: auto-increment column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Boszormenyi Zoltan
Subject Re: auto-increment column
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I have a column in a table called hist_id with the datatype "integer". When I created the table I assigned this column the primary key constraint but didn´t make it an auto-increment column.

How could I do this to an the already existing column?

I have created the sequence with the following command but don´t know how to change the existing column to auto-increment.

$ create sequence hist_id_seq;

You also need to add a DEFAULT expression and optionally
make the sequence owned by the column:

ALTER TABLE tablename ALTER COLUMN hist_id SET DEFAULT nextval('hist_id_seq');
ALTER SEQUENCE hist_id_seq OWNED BY tablename.hist_id;

The "ALTER SEQUENCE ... OWNED BY ..." will make the sequence
automatically dropped if this column or table is dropped.

thanks for any help,

Rob

--
Zoltán Böszörményi