Re: Inconsistency: varchar is equivalent to varchar(255) and also not equivalent? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Boszormenyi Zoltan
Subject Re: Inconsistency: varchar is equivalent to varchar(255) and also not equivalent?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Oct 3, 2011, at 10:12 AM, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>
>> But I would like to know why isn't the type conversion from unlimited varchar
>> to varchar(255) invoked in the pl/pgsql function?
> What if t1 || t2 is longer than 255? You need to explicitly specify.

Yes, but then explicit casting would be needed everywhere
and it's not the case. My question is more like: why the
record -> record type conversion doesn't try to match
individual elements of the two record types?

--
Zoltán Böszörményi