Re: Suggestions for Intel 710 SSD test - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: Suggestions for Intel 710 SSD test
Date
List pgsql-performance
Anandtech took the trouble of doing that:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4902/intel-ssd-710-200gb-review

I think the main advantage of the 710 compared to the 320 is its much
heavier over-provisioning and better quality MLC-chips. Both the 320 and
710 use the same controller and offer similar performance. But 320GB of
raw capacity is sold as a 300GB Intel 320 and as a 200GB Intel 710...

So if you don't need write-endurance, you can probably assume the 320
will be more capacity and bang for the buck and will be good enough. If
you're a worried about write-endurance, you should have a look at the
710. You can obviously also only provision about 200GB of that 300GB
320-ssd and thus increase its expected live span, but you'd still miss
the higher quality MLC. Given the fact that you can get two 320's for
the price of one 710, its probably always a bit difficult to actually
make the choice (unless you want a fixed amount of disks and the best
endurance possible for that).

Best regards,

Arjen