Re: BUG #2406: Not all systems support SHM_SHARE_MMU - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Paul van der Zwan
Subject Re: BUG #2406: Not all systems support SHM_SHARE_MMU
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 25-apr-2006, at 7:48, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Paul van der Zwan" <paul.vanderzwan@sun.com> writes:
>> Only systems with large pagesizes support ISM, so always defining
>> #define PG_SHMAT_FLAGS                  SHM_SHARE_MMU
>> in src/backend/port/sysv_shmem.c  will cause all calls to shmat to
>> fail with
>> EINVAL on systems that do not support large pages.
>
> That code's been in there since PG 7.3, and no one before you has
> complained.  Are you sure you've identified the problem correctly?
>
>             regards, tom lane

I am 99% sure that is the cause. If I put shmsys:ism_off=1 in /etc/
system
it ignores the SHM_SHARE_MMU flag and it works.
Maybe noone ever ran Postgres on Solaris on a VIA Epia system.
I haven't rebuilt postgres with my suggested patch (yet) so that's
were the 1% doubt comes in.
I'll try to do that sometime this week.

    Paul