Re: the number of child tables --table partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From alexandre - aldeia digital
Subject Re: the number of child tables --table partitioning
Date
List pgsql-performance
Em 30-09-2011 14:01, Merlin Moncure escreveu:
> 2011/9/29 Ondrej Ivanič<ondrej.ivanic@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,

>>> Generally, don't go over about 100 partitions per table.
>> Having 365 partitions per table is fine...
> yeah -- the system was certainly designed to support 'dozens to
> hundreds', but 'hundreds of thousands' is simply not realistic.  any
> measurable benefit gained from partitioning is going to be var
> exceeded by the database having to track so many tables.
>
> btw, partitioning for purposes of performance is a dubious strategy
> unless you can leverage non-uniform access patterns of the data or do
> other tricks that allow simplification of structures (like removing
> 'company_id' from all tables and indexes because it's implied by the
> partition itself).
>
> merlin

Can we see the transparent table partitioningimplemented in Postgres 9.2
version before the end of the world in 2012? ;)
Today, it is very difficult to maintain table partitioning schemes even
with small number of partitions.

Anyway, congrats for the superb 9.1 version!