Re: Buildfarm error: Broken compatability with JDK 1.4 - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Mikko Tiihonen
Subject Re: Buildfarm error: Broken compatability with JDK 1.4
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 09/26/2011 04:41 PM, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Mike Fowler<mike@mlfowler.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The JDBC buildfarm has been broken since Friday as I've discovered this
>> morning (see
>> http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl?member=piapiac). All
>> branches (8.4,9.0,9.1&  HEAD) are failing with the same reason:
>>
>> compile:
>>     [javac] /home/ubuntu/buildarea/HEAD/pgjdbc/build.xml:125: warning:
>> 'includeantruntime' was not set, defaulting to
>> build.sysclasspath=last; set to false for repeatable builds
>>     [javac] Compiling 152 source files to
>> /home/ubuntu/buildarea/HEAD/pgjdbc/build
>>     [javac]
>> /home/ubuntu/buildarea/HEAD/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/ds/common/PGObjectFactory.java:119:
>> cannot resolve symbol
>>     [javac] symbol  : method parseBoolean (java.lang.String)
>>     [javac] location: class java.lang.Boolean
>>     [javac]
>> ds.setBinaryTransfer(Boolean.parseBoolean(binaryTransfer));
>>     [javac]                                         ^
>>     [javac]
>> /home/ubuntu/buildarea/HEAD/pgjdbc/org/postgresql/jdbc2/AbstractJdbc2ResultSet.java:3129:
>> cannot resolve symbol
>>     [javac] symbol  : method valueOf (long)
>>     [javac] location: class java.lang.Long
>>     [javac]             throw new PSQLException(GT.tr("Bad value for type
>> {0} : {1}", new Object[]{targetType, Long.valueOf(val)}),
>>     [javac]
>>                                         ^
>>     [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
>>     [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
>>     [javac] 2 errors
>>
>> Both of these method calls - Boolean.parseBoolean() and Long.valueOf() -
>> are introduced in JDK 1.5. Are we dropping support for 1.4? Given that the
>> workaround to maintain 1.4 compatability is so simple (see attached patch)
>> I would recommend maintaing support of 1.4.
>

> I would agree that we want to keep support for 1.4
>
> Mikko, I'm guessing this is mostly from your patches.

Yes, my fault. I have tried to stay away from new APIs - the breakage was unintentional.

I'll be more careful in the future, but I do not have any older than 1.6 JVM available
so it is very useful to have the build farm to catch these errors.

If the patch from Mike does not get committed I'll create one tomorrow.

-Mikko