Re: What Would You Like To Do? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: What Would You Like To Do?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 09/24/2011 09:51 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On 09/13/2011 11:51 AM, Michael Nolan wrote:
>>
>>>          The ability to restore a table from a backup file to a different
>>>          table
>>>          name in the same database and schema.
>>>

>>>      This can be done but agreed it is not intuitive.
>>>

>>> Can you elaborate on tha a bit, please?  The only way I've been able to
>>> do it is to edit the dump file to change the table name.  That's not
>>> very practical with a several gigabyte dump file, even less so with one
>>> that is much larger.  If this capability already exists, is it documented?
>> You use the -Fc method, extract the TOC and edit just the TOC (so you
>> don't have to edit a multi-gig file)
> How does that work in practice?  You dump the TOC, edit it, restore the
> TOC schema definition, then how do you restore the data to the renamed
> table?

How do you extract the TOC at all? There are no tools for manipulating
the TOC that I know of, and I'm not sure we should provide any. It's not
documented, it's a purely internal artefact. The closest thing we have
to being able to manipulate it is --list/--use-list, and those are
useless for this purpose. So this method description does not compute
for me either.

+1 for providing a way to restore an object to a different object name.

cheers

andrew