Re: /usr/local/pgsql/data permissions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: /usr/local/pgsql/data permissions
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/23/11 1:48 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   My server just crashed because a CPU-intensive build threatened to
> overheat the processor so the system shut down. When I rebooted and
> tried to
> start postgres the attempt failed because `data directory
> "/usr/local/pgsql/data" has group or world access'. As far as I can
> recall,
> it's always been 755 like the other directories in /usr/local/pgsql.
>
>   When I changed the perms to 700 I was able to start postgres. I want to
> check that these are the proper permissions (I can run psql from the
> command
> line and access Ledger-123 so I assume they're OK.)
>
>   How the permissions on the directory changed when the system shut down
> will probably always remain a mystery.

Indeed, 700 are the correct privs.

# ls -ld /var/lib/pgsql/9.0/data
drwx------. 13 postgres postgres 4096 Sep 12 20:07 /var/lib/pgsql/9.0/data

# ls -ld /var/lib/pgsql/data
drwx------ 11 postgres postgres 4096 Sep  9 12:08 /var/lib/pgsql/data

# ls -ld /var/postgres/8.4-community/data_64
drwx------  11 postgres dba           18 May 14 08:37
/var/postgres/8.4-community/data_64

$ ls -ld $PGDATA
drwx------   11 postgres staff          4096 Jun 07 12:29 /u01/pgsql/data

(different machines, different operating systems even...)