Re: Replication between 64/32bit systems? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hannes Erven
Subject Re: Replication between 64/32bit systems?
Date
List pgsql-general
OK,

thank you for clarification, I'll "resign" ;-) and accept that mixing
32/64 bits is not possible.

I continued by experiments, and would like to share my results. First of
all, I'm an idiot because I had logging_collector set to on and wondered
why the terminals did not give any meaningful output when postgres was
started with -d4 .

Having fixed that, what actually seems to work with 9.1.0 is:

On the Windows host (64 bit):
- just use the 32bit binaries
- initdb --locale C
   (or any other locale that is also available on the slave)

Linux replication slave (32 bit):
- use CFLAGS="m128bit-long-double -malign-double" ./configure
   (otherwise you'll hit "checksum error in control file")

When you try to connect to a 64bit postgres host, the connection
succeeds and everything looks fine so far, until the first transaction
needs to be transferred: then, weird messages appear on the slave.
Obviously, this is the result of binary protocol incompatibility...

So far, I have only tried to replicate a small, newly created test
database. Next, I'll transfer a bigger database to a locale=C cluster
and see if replication works there as well.

Thanks again for your support,

    -hannes