Re: Satisfy extension dependency by one of multiple extensions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Satisfy extension dependency by one of multiple extensions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 23.09.2011 14:56, Yeb Havinga wrote:
> I have a use case where an extension dependency can be satisfied by one
> of five other extensions. Currently I'm unable to express that in the
> extension control file, since the elements from 'requires' are currently
> searched on exact name match. The attached patch changes this behaviour
> for list elements that end with a *, into prefix matching, so that e.g.
> table* matches tablefunc.

That's going to quickly extend into even more complex rules, like "foo
OR bar", "(foo OR bar) AND (foobar)" etc. IIRC the extension control
file format was modeled after some other package management system (.deb
?). You might want to look at the past discussions when the extension
control file format was decided.

We might want to have a system where an extension can declare that it
"provides" capabilites, and then have another extension "require" those
capabilities. That would be a neater solution to the case that there are
multiple extensions that all provide the same capability.