Re: coalesce - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: coalesce
Date
List pgsql-docs
Henry Drexler <alonup8tb@gmail.com> wrote:

> "If the results of the first argument are null, it will return the
> second."

Unless the second is also null, in which case it will return the
third.  Unless the third is also null...

The trick is to come up with language which recognizes that there
can be any number of arguments.  Personally, I think the existing
language does a good job of that, and is pretty clear.

> so I made this example that makes sense:
>
>     COALESCE(column,substitute value)

Perhaps a two-argument example would be helpful, as long as it
doesn't mislead people into thinking the construct is limited to two
arguments.

-Kevin