Re: Identifying Reason for Column Name Returned by SELECT - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: Identifying Reason for Column Name Returned by SELECT
Date
List pgsql-general
Your example suggests that the "GW-22" is a substring of the field followed by
trailing spaces so you'll want something that searches substrings, whereas "="
will always just test on matching the entire field.

Try "like" by default, such as "where site_id like 'GW-22 %'".  I added the
space between the 22 and the wildcard % so that the field containing just
'GW-22' isn't also matched.

If you need something more specific than simple substring match, you can use a
regular expression, which I think is spelled like "where site_id ~ '...'" but
check the manual to be sure about regexp syntax.  But "like" will probably do
you here.

-- Darren Duncan