Re: Security setup. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sim Zacks
Subject Re: Security setup.
Date
List pgsql-general
The problem with trust is that it means that any user can type in any
other users login name and get access without knowing his password. Even
if your app is the only access point to the database, you still have to
worry about a user installing psql or other client onto his desktop and
accessing the database directly.

If your application is logging in, you still don't want to use trust
because you can put the password into the application. The level of
security that you require will depend a lot on the application
infrastructure. For example, if you are using an application server then
you can limit access of the database to the IP address of the app server
and the DBA's computer. That way you don't have to worry about anybody
installing a rogue client.

Sim